object(WP_Post)#4887 (24) {
  ["ID"]=>
  int(2524)
  ["post_author"]=>
  string(1) "5"
  ["post_date"]=>
  string(19) "2015-02-13 00:25:00"
  ["post_date_gmt"]=>
  string(19) "2015-02-13 00:25:00"
  ["post_content"]=>
  string(4001) "Self promotion is a hard thing.  I find writing about myself an even harder thing!

Let’s get real – Self promotion doesn’t come easy for a lot of people.  As the National Business Development Manager I am charged with the responsibility of cultivating new and existing business, therefore 90% of the time I am in a situations where I am either promoting myself or Cox Purtell.  The other 10% of the time, I am doing it in my sleep.

I have been blessed to have been promoted twice at CP in 2 years; I would attest that to numerous personal traits - tenacity, persistence and the ‘Entrepreneurial Spirit’.

People tend to tip toe between the lines of not talking about themselves at all and forgetting who they are or coming across as pompous, egotistical loudmouths (I have worked with a few of those).

Here are some tips on how to hit the ‘self promotion’ hot spot and get noticed at work.

Make a great start by being positive and being proactive, even at rookie level. Leaders love staff that can contribute to the team. You need to make sure your job is done by placing yourself outside the box and adding value by suggesting new and great ideas will build that path to promotion!

Your colleagues know who the rock stars in the team are and everyone loves a colleague who walks quietly whilst carrying a big stick. Achievements need not be trumpeted, as the truth of your capabilities filter through your team your colleagues will recognise your quiet ability to conquer and will wonder what other capabilities you have in your back pocket.

Bosses love employees that get the job done without requiring too much management attention. If you’re not 100% happy with the biscuits in the kitchen or the angle of your desk in the office - your boss doesn’t need to know! Save your conversations with your boss for things that matter.

Your bosses want to have commercial and lateral conversations with you; they want to know how you will contribute to the business, improve processes and build the brand. Treating their business as if it’s your business is the secret recipe to winning your boss’s heart.

Look your best and ‘walk with purpose’. It’s a well-documented fact that better dressed people always get more out of those they are dealing with.

Try wearing a blazer or work dress to the check in counter at the airport next time you fly and you’ll notice the difference in how your are treated versus the person next to you in thongs and ripped jeans – your boss is no different so dress your best! My favourite saying is ‘Dress for the job you want not the job you have’.

Good commercial conversations with the business. Doing brilliant work won’t help your career if you’re not communicating your successes. However, standing around bragging all day won’t impress either, but make time to engage your colleagues about what you’re working on and find out about their projects.

If you are involved in amazing stuff, shout it out to the world! It’s not showing off if you’re using inspirational languageNever forget to network and make contacts in your industry, go to conventions, seek a mentor – these activities will help you cultivate the inner CEO in you!

If you didn’t get the hint…..Make Your Boss Look Good!

 

Cox Purtell Recruitment Agency Blog / Sydney / Melbourne / Adelaide"
  ["post_title"]=>
  string(26) "The Art of Self Promotion "
  ["post_excerpt"]=>
  string(156) "People tend to tip toe between the lines of not talking about themselves at all & forgetting who they are or coming across as pompous egotistical loudmouths"
  ["post_status"]=>
  string(7) "publish"
  ["comment_status"]=>
  string(4) "open"
  ["ping_status"]=>
  string(4) "open"
  ["post_password"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["post_name"]=>
  string(18) "art-self-promotion"
  ["to_ping"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["pinged"]=>
  string(58) "
http://www.coxpurtell.com.au/blog/f-u-the-key-to-success/"
  ["post_modified"]=>
  string(19) "2015-07-24 15:57:17"
  ["post_modified_gmt"]=>
  string(19) "2015-07-24 05:57:17"
  ["post_content_filtered"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["post_parent"]=>
  int(0)
  ["guid"]=>
  string(36) "http://www.coxpurtell.com.au/?p=2524"
  ["menu_order"]=>
  int(0)
  ["post_type"]=>
  string(4) "post"
  ["post_mime_type"]=>
  string(0) ""
  ["comment_count"]=>
  string(1) "0"
  ["filter"]=>
  string(3) "raw"
}

			

Self promotion is a hard thing.  I find writing about myself an even harder thing!

Let’s get real – Self promotion doesn’t come easy for a lot of people.  As the National Business Development Manager I am charged with the responsibility of cultivating new and existing business, therefore 90% of the time I am in a situations where I am either promoting myself or Cox Purtell.  The other 10% of the time, I am doing it in my sleep.

I have been blessed to have been promoted twice at CP in 2 years; I would attest that to numerous personal traits – tenacity, persistence and the ‘Entrepreneurial Spirit’.

People tend to tip toe between the lines of not talking about themselves at all and forgetting who they are or coming across as pompous, egotistical loudmouths (I have worked with a few of those).

Here are some tips on how to hit the ‘self promotion’ hot spot and get noticed at work.

Make a great start by being positive and being proactive, even at rookie level. Leaders love staff that can contribute to the team. You need to make sure your job is done by placing yourself outside the box and adding value by suggesting new and great ideas will build that path to promotion!

Your colleagues know who the rock stars in the team are and everyone loves a colleague who walks quietly whilst carrying a big stick. Achievements need not be trumpeted, as the truth of your capabilities filter through your team your colleagues will recognise your quiet ability to conquer and will wonder what other capabilities you have in your back pocket.

Bosses love employees that get the job done without requiring too much management attention. If you’re not 100% happy with the biscuits in the kitchen or the angle of your desk in the office – your boss doesn’t need to know! Save your conversations with your boss for things that matter.

Your bosses want to have commercial and lateral conversations with you; they want to know how you will contribute to the business, improve processes and build the brand. Treating their business as if it’s your business is the secret recipe to winning your boss’s heart.

Look your best and ‘walk with purpose’. It’s a well-documented fact that better dressed people always get more out of those they are dealing with.

Try wearing a blazer or work dress to the check in counter at the airport next time you fly and you’ll notice the difference in how your are treated versus the person next to you in thongs and ripped jeans – your boss is no different so dress your best! My favourite saying is ‘Dress for the job you want not the job you have’.

Good commercial conversations with the business. Doing brilliant work won’t help your career if you’re not communicating your successes. However, standing around bragging all day won’t impress either, but make time to engage your colleagues about what you’re working on and find out about their projects.

If you are involved in amazing stuff, shout it out to the world! It’s not showing off if you’re using inspirational languageNever forget to network and make contacts in your industry, go to conventions, seek a mentor – these activities will help you cultivate the inner CEO in you!

If you didn’t get the hint…..Make Your Boss Look Good!

 

Cox Purtell Recruitment Agency Blog / Sydney / Melbourne / Adelaide

Tags: Cox Purtell | Cox Purtell Blog | Permanent Recruitment | Recruitment Adelaide | Recruitment Agency Adelaide | Recruitment Agency Melbourne | Recruitment Agency Sydney | Recruitment Melbourne | Recruitment Sydney | Self Promotion | Temporary Recruitment |

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *